1 cup - chickpeas, soaked overnight
1 - red onion
2 - tomatoes, chopped finely
2 tbsp - tomato puree
1/2 tsp - shahjeera ( caraway seeds)
1 rsp - cumin-coriander powder
1 tsp - g inger-garlic paste
1 to 2 tbsp - tamarind paste ( or as per taste)
1/2 tsp - chilli powder ( or as per taste)
1 - tea bag
1 - bay leaf
pinch of turmeric
salt to taste
few finely chopped tsp of onions and sprigs of cilantro for garnish
- Cook the chickpeas (pressure cooker preferred) along with turmeric, bay leaf and tea bag
- Heat a skillet, add little oil/butter/ghee and add caraway seeds, the spices and saute for 30-40 seconds.
- Add the onions and then ginger-garlic paste and saute some more till the aroma starts hitting the nostrils.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, tamarind paste and cook till the raw smell of the tomato leaves and it becomes soft and mushy.
- Remove the tea bag and bay leaf from the chickpeas and then pour down the remaining content into this onion-tomato mixture.
- Add more water if needed. Bring it to a boil and smash down few chickpeas to thicken the gravy.
Serve hot garnished with onions and cilantro (optional)